Thursday, June 23, 2011

Done

Spoiler alert on this one: I curse (once, but still a chance that might shock somehow). My policy on cursing in poetry is that on the few occasions I do use it I feel that it really is the only way to express the emotion or feeling I am trying to. Yes I could use my significantly more complex vocabulary and explain it but then the feeling is lost in the long-winded retelling. For me, emotions expressed with curses are short and sharp like a curse, and saying it in another way like replacing it with an acceptable substitute is complete bs because saying bs is no different really than actually saying bullshit so I will not replace a curse with another word that really means the same thing but feels cheaper. Anyway, past the mini-rant/ explanation and onto the poem. :)

~~~

I
     Am
              Tired.
I am tired like I just ran 10 miles
Or spent a week sitting awake night after night
Thinking of things to say to you.

I'm tired of caring about your opinion
Of everything I say, do,
Or even think.
I'm exhausted at the thought of
Another conversation edited to not upset you.
Another session of tiptoeing
Around your foibles and insecurities
Because I want you to like me.

Rather, as I end more conversations
With you walking off in a huff,
As I spend more days and nights
Not thinking about you,
As I say more and more of
What I actually think,
As I find myself giving less of a fuck
About what you think of me,
I'm beginning to feel refreshingly rested.

2 comments:

  1. I liked this,

    I will say, though, that after the first stanza, which gives us a lyric succession of images, this seems more like a monologue than a poem. I read a stanza out loud, and it sounded more like a script, or prose, than your other pieces of free verse.

    But I liked the truth in this, and the expression of a feeling to which many people can genuinely relate. And no, despite being your resident prude friend, the f-bomb didn't detract from my appreciation of the piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it, even despite the curse. :)

    I did notice that it turned out a lot more like prose or a monologue. I think this one might be a better one to perform than have typed out, but either way I don't think I'll be able to change it much from how it is now. We'll see though.

    ReplyDelete