Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hypnotized

I've been unusually inclined toward poetry lately, so here's another. Maybe somewhat... risque, but I like it:


I’ve never felt more of a Zen state,
But never found it harder to think straight.
The aggressive bass-filled music
Pounds into my head,
Jerking my body into movement with its rhythm.

The lights are all flashing
And most of them colored in vibrant hues.
The crowd is obscured in the constantly shifting light
And I find it’s easier to keep my
Attention on my immediate surroundings.

Easier, and preferable.
The beat pulses through us both,
I feel it through her flesh pressed close against mine
As we are pulled in unison with it.
We become one with crowd in an intoxicating conformity.

In this strange peace all thoughts flee my head;
I couldn’t remember my own name at this point.
All I know are the contours of her body
Finding those of mine and fitting perfectly.
Running a hand down to her hips
My fingers brush her exposed skin
And that pleasurable electricity jolts up my arm.

I don’t just forget the outside world,
It ceases to exist.
Classes,
Tests,
Work,
Friends,
Family,
And other assorted distractions just stop
And all that exists is our bodies,
Joined in this euphoric dance.

Minutes,
Hours,
Days,
Years pass,
And finally the night ends and she’s left already.
I didn’t give her my name,
And I didn’t get hers.
I didn’t ask for it.

All I asked for was a night of forgetfulness.
For a partner in finding bliss.
Perhaps I’ll see her again,
But probably not.
There will be other partners,
And it’ll be the same.
Everyone’s the same
Before the commanding beat.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah...if I didn't know this was about a bass guitar, I think I'd be kinda worried right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, it's totally not about a bass guitar, that's Randy's song. It's pretty much just what it sounds like: dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice descriptions. Word play at the beginning was well done. The parts where you break into what are essentially lists really helped to carry across the feel of the dancefloor where the bass suddenly begins pounding in quick succession.

    ReplyDelete