Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Valentine's Poem

            So a certain friend had it in her mind that I should write her a poem, and bugged me about it for a few months until I finally relented and wrote her one for Valentine's Day. This person is in no way a romantic friend, so I felt no reason to not have fun and screw around with it. As insulting as I tried to make it (without making her truly hate me), she loved it. Not high quality by any means, but I had fun with it:


Terror

            Plop.
It’s back,
Here to suck my energy and tax my soul.
I try to ignore it,
But it demands my attention,
Prodding at me and entangling me
With suction cupped tentacles
That never let go once they’ve got a grip.

            Flop.
It’s getting restless.
Inching closer,
A tittering noise escapes its maw;
It’ll attack soon if I don’t give in.
Which could be worse?
The pain of being taken by force,
Or the shame of breaking and giving in?

            Shift.
                        Twitch.
The tittering is louder and more insistent,
The thing leans in for the kill,
Tentacles poised and metallic fangs glistening.
Alas, I’m not strong enough!
“What do you want, Sydney?”
The grin widens and the tentacles retract,
“You should write me a poem!”

No comments:

Post a Comment